Common Core Implementation Issues
In the July 9, 2013, School Board meeting, the board discusses issues surrounding the implementation of Common Core.
- The issue of Common Core Math 1 was discussed and how credit is made up if students are moved up to the next level even though they fail a course.
- The Board President said that we should get students to take ‘talking points’ home to their parents about Common Core.
- The Superintendent references the “crazy backward sliding on the commitment”. He also references the ‘conspiracy theories’ about Common Core.
- The Superintendent acknowledges that our Teachers do not have all the tools needed for implementation.
- The Superintendent and Board President state that they are not aware of any Superintendents or other local school boards that are opposed to Common Core in the state of Utah.